Do you often feel like your life going at a million miles an hour? It gets to May and you think where did March and April go?! I find living in Dubai life seems to go by so quickly. Everyone is so busy, weekends get booked up months in advance and it is so easy to get caught up in that crazy kind of lifestyle where you get serious fomo about missing out on everything!
Before I moved to Dubai I had a pretty healthy balanced lifestyle. I practiced yoga daily, gymed a few times a week and had a good social circle. During my first year here though I through myself into the ‘Dubai lifestyle’. There wasn’t a weekend where I wasn’t brunching, many weekend I would be double brunching! Money seemed like monopoly money and spending 500 AED on brunch seemed like the normal thing to do every week. My health and fitness took a back step to my socialising and my body took a bit of a battering…12kgs to be exact!
After taking the summer out to travel Vietnam and Thailand with my now husband, I realised something had to give, I couldn’t keep up with it all! I started to realise I didn’t need to say yes to everything and it was ok to be in my own company sometimes.So here are a few things I have been doing over the last few years which I found really helped:
- Practicing Yoga – Making time for this every day I find so beneficial. Some days this might only be 5 – 10 minutes, others I an hour or so.
- Walking – For me this is walking my dogs but I try not to use my car for place I could walk too.
- Reading more – I find it really hard to get into a book but I have been trying much more.
- Listening to podcasts – If you’re like me and find getting into a book hard, then podcasts are your best friend! Find one about something you love and you will be hooked!
- Waking up a bit earlier – Although I would say I am not a morning person I seem to be so much more productive in the mornings! When I get the chance to do a workout, go for a walk or do yoga first thing I know it’s going to be a good day.
- Doing things on my own – This use to scare me big time. I would hate the idea of not having anything planned. But slowly I am beginning to enjoy my own company.
- Finding other things to do with friends – My friends recently all joined Class Pass and now we all do classes together so we can stay fit and socialise at the same time.
- Meditation – This is so underestimated by so many people. If you find it hard to switch off then there are some amazing apps out there to guide you through a meditation (Head Space and 1 Giant Mind are good). I feel so calm and content afterwards and if I do this in the morning, I can take this into my day with me.
- Being mindful – You can be mindful with everything! Cooking, eating, driving, talking to people, exercising; by taking care over these things you learn to appreciate more of the little things in life.
By doing these things I felt so much more balanced and the fomo started to go! I also got back to my ‘happy weight’!
I hope everyone take something from this and remember not to take life to seriously, just breathe.