Vegan Snickers Bars
Anyone who knows me well knows how much of a sweet tooth I have! I love chocolate or anything that has chocolate it in, and this was the only thing I really missed when I first turned vegan. Luckily, there are some amazing recipes out there that are delicious and super easy to make!
This is my favourite I have come across so far featuring chewy almond butter base, a smooth date based caramel sauce and dark chocolate coating. The result, a vegan snickers bar so tasty, you won’t want the processed one again!
- For the nougat:
- ½ cup almond butter
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon flour (I like coconut flour)
- For the caramel filling:
- 12 pitted dates
- ⅓ cup water
- Pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon melted coconut oil
- ¼ cup peanuts or other nuts/seeds of choice
- For the dark chocolate coating:
- 1 cup dark chocolate chunks
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Mix the almond butter, flour and maple syrup in a bowl and mix well. Press the dough onto a baking tin lined with baking paper, and use your hands to create a shape that is about ½-inch thick. Place in the freezer to set.
- The caramel filling, put the dates, salt, vanilla, coconut oil, and water in a blender, and blend until smooth and creamy. Be sure to taste the caramel and adjust the flavor or texture, but try not to eat it all!
- Take the nougat layer out of the freezer and spread half of the caramel filling over the top.
- Sprinkle the ¼ cup of nuts over the top of the caramel layer, and gently press into the caramel filling. Place in the freezer to set for at least 30 minutes.
- For the chocolate outside, put the dark chocolate chunks and coconut oil in a bowl and melt in the microwave, until completely melted.
- Remove the tin from the freezer, and slice into however many bars you want to make.
- Dip each bar into the melted chocolate. Return the bars to the baking sheet, and put back in the freezer for at least 15 minutes.
Like many vegan deserts, they will need to stay in the freezer until you are ready to eat them.
Let me know your thoughts, enjoy!